Research is a process, much like a scientific experiment. There is a plan for you to follow, but you may move freely between steps, go forward, backward, and then forward again, until you reach your final product.
The steps are:
1. Define your topic -- What are you studying?
2. Ask questions -- Without questions, you are not doing research
3. Strategize -- List your keywords and survey your resources
4. Find information -- Use the resources in this LibGuide to get you started
5. Take Notes -- Use what you're comfortable with. It is suggested that you start with notecards. Online versions are now available.
6. Share -- Create your final product
After each step of the process, take the time to reflect . Ask yourself:
1. What is my progress? Am I being successful?
2. With what do I need help? Who can I ask for help?
3. What are my next steps? Do I have a plan for my next research/work session?
4. When the project is done: How do I feel about the end product? Did I work my hardest? What did I learn about how I work?